Old Yarralumla! - Light filled rooms, gorgeous gardens & superb entertaining in this lovely home!
Situated in an appealing Yarralumla location, this beautiful mid-century home has all the character and charm of the era, high ceilings enhancing the sense of calm. Set well back from the road, amidst picturesque gardens sheltered by mature trees, the home has excellent street appeal, complemented by large windows.
Built in 1957 to the highest standard, this much loved home is offered for sale for the first time. Well presented and maintained, it has been extended and updated to provide an elegant and comfortable family home, with spacious living areas that flow freely, a fantastic entertaining deck and a sensational master suite.
One of the many outstanding features of the home is the abundant natural light, pouring into all living areas and bedrooms. The formal lounge takes in the private outlook over the spring garden, with its rhododendrons, camellias and azaleas. Ornate cornices and a decorative fireplace add character, while ducted gas heating ensures comfort. The kitchen and dining room have double glazed windows, which frame the private view over treetops to the mountains. Finished in crisp white, the updated kitchen is equipped with a glass cooktop, grill, oven, and a Miele dishwasher.
An extension created the north-facing family room, which has full length windows and a sliding glass door opening onto an elevated deck, a fabulous spot to relax and enjoy tranquil views over the garden to the Brindabellas and Black Mountain.
The family room leads to the luxurious, light filled master bedroom, with full length windows taking in the garden outlook. Solid, Mountain Ash flooring extends through the family room and master bedroom. This has two built-in robes and an ensuite with an extra-wide shower.
Bedrooms two, three and four all have 9′ ceilings, robes and plenty of light. Presented in excellent condition, the main bathroom offers a deep bath, a shower with flexible rose and a separate, updated w/c. The adjacent external laundry opens onto the deck.
Planted with a profusion of pink camellias, the landscaped rear garden is a peaceful haven, while a paved area is sheltered by a mature Japanese Pagoda tree and Chinese Elm. The handyman will love the huge under-house workshop, complete with work bench and a vast storage area. The double garage has a long driveway, bordered by neat hedging, providing ample off-street parking.
This historic and prestigious suburb is arguably one of Canberra’s most scenic, offering endless recreation opportunities around the lake and a treasure trove of picnic spots. It is just a short walk to Deakin and Yarralumla shops, or to Yarralumla Primary School, which offers an Italian/Australian program, and to the Girls’ Grammar School. Parliament House, many embassies and the City Centre are all just a short distance.
In every detail, this inviting home is a pleasure to inspect and presents an outstanding opportunity to realise your dream!
– Soundly built, double brick home, constructed in 1957, featuring high ceilings & ornate cornices
– Extended to add a north facing family room, entertaining deck and a master bedroom with ensuite
– Attractive, well-tended gardens surround the home, offering a peaceful haven and outlook
– Large windows, ensuring all rooms have plenty of natural light
– Lounge features the original fireplace, although work required to restore chimney to correct width
– Ducted gas heating
– “Magnetite” window treatment in lounge & family room provides thermal and acoustic insulation
– Berber pure wool carpet through lounge and original bedrooms
– Double glazing in dining and kitchen, with window functioning as a servery to the deck
– Bright, updated kitchen offers good bench space, a glass cooktop, grill, oven & a Miele dishwasher
– Family room has full length windows furnished with quality, custom-made drapes
– Door from family room opens to elevated timber deck, with a view over garden to the Brindabellas
– Luxurious, light filled master bedroom enjoys north aspect and restful garden outlook
– Master equipped with ensuite, twin robes, a reverse-cycle air conditioner & honeycomb blinds
– Second, third and fourth bedrooms offer 9′ ceilings and robes, lots of light & garden views
– Third and fourth bedrooms have “Magnetite” window insulation
– Main bathroom in very good condition, offering a deep bath, shower and a separate, updated w/c
– “Magnetite” treatment on bathroom window & back door, and back & front doors draught-sealed
– Solar hot water, electric boosted and six solar panels
– Massive under-house workshop with a workbench, shelving and a vast storage area
– Double garage and a long driveway, bordered by a neat hedge, providing ample off-street parking
– Fabulous location in historic Yarralumla, walk to local shops & close to Parliament House & the City
– Walk to Yarralumla Primary School and Girls’ Grammar School
– Short distance to fantastic recreation and scenic picnic spots around Lake Burley Griffin
Land Size: 905 m²
Land Value: $955,000
Land Rates: $5,401.25 per annum (approx.)