Barton at its Best
As soon as you enter this home you will see why it is so special. Sited on a large level block of 957m2 in this much prized Inner South suburb, homes like this just don’t come along that often. This north facing home is set in established gardens and is overflowing with grace, character and charm. Much of the original heritage design and garden layout has been respected by the current owner in this sensitive, contemporary extension. The rear extension was designed by award winning architect, Nino Bellantonio, and built by award winning Canberra builders. The entire project was quality controlled by the most experienced civil and structural engineer along the east coast of Australia.
The home comprises of two generous bedrooms, the master with an ensuite and walk in robe. The lounge room with fireplace and high ceilings opens out to a private north facing covered porch and living area. The dining room, again with a fireplace, looks out to the front and rear gardens and spills onto the back terrace which has two ponds, adding to the tranquillity you will feel in this property. The home is designed to take in the surrounding gardens from all rooms seamlessly from inside to outside. Large kitchen and separate laundry with generous storage, single lock-up garage.
No stone has been left unturned. Fully re-roofed, rewired, new plumbing throughout, double glazed, gutter guards, solar panels are just some of the many features you will find here. Convenient, prestigious location, a leisurely walk to the Kingston foreshore, highly regarded public and private schools and just moments to Kingston and Manuka.
The established gardens have been tended according to organic gardening principles for over twenty years. They can be enjoyed from the terrace or at least two other seated locations at the back of the house. As well as from the front porch. Achieving an outstanding energy rating, this home is focused upon affordable living, practicality and understanding the importance of a green carbon footprint.
Homes like this do not become available very often! Most loved and tightly held, this property has been home to only three families in 93 years. Generously proportioned throughout, with an abundance of natural light this home is a must see.
Don’t miss this opportunity to secure a piece of Canberra’s early history and reside in one of its most tightly held and desirable suburbs.
As part of the renovations:
• the house has been completely re-wired
• all the underground plumbing pipes and electricity cables have been replaced
• the electricity connection to the house is now underground
• the roof tiles are new
• top of the range gutter guards were installed
• the garage door is automated and electrical wiring is in place to automate the driveway gate too
• new roof tiles were used to accommodate the solar panels and install solar hot water
• water tanks with automated pumps were installed to capture house and garage water
• a Wi-Fi controlled automatic 6 station irrigation system was installed for the garden and lawns
• the two fishponds have top of the range pump-filters that clean the water by infrared rays; automatic water level adjustment; and hard-wired lights
• all new doors and windows are double glazed and argon filled
• the main bathroom and ensuite bathroom have heated floors and have been sound proofed
• there is central, ducted reverse cycle air-conditioning (as well as two working fireplaces as part of the original home)
• the house has accessible features:
• all inside and outside doors to the rear of the house are wheelchair wide
• the shower in the ensuite bathroom has all the joinery in place behind the wall tiles necessary to put in grab rails and a built-in shower seat in place behind the wall tiles
• the front and side entrances to the house have handrails
• The house is 6/10 EER Rated
• No pesticides have been used in the garden since the house was bought by the current owner in 1997
• All the walls and ceiling and (where possible) sub-floors have been fully insulated
• The house is completely draft proofed. All the windows and doors and even bathtub have had extra insulation added
• Two top quality ceiling fans provide excellent comfort all year round as required
• Solar panels and solar hot water mean the current owner does not pay for electricity or gas. The existing solar system generates a large surplus.
Land Tax $12,548